In most of our modern lives, there is an abundance of things and moments in our lives that we can be thankful for, yet we choose to direct more of our attention to things that upset us and bring us down.
Why this is the case I will truly never know…
It is a CONSCIOUS choice when it comes to focusing on positivity or negativity, and I try my best to choose positivity. Even in darkness we can find light.
If you look close enough you will see the tattoo on the inside of my right arm…
Simply put. As I go through my day I am actively seeking out things to be thankful for and things to appreciate. Instead of finding hate and negativity, I continuously find love and reasons to be excited about life.
Below is a list of multiple things you can be thankful for in almost any moment, remember these and when these things occur in your day to day life, take a moment to LITERALLY speak to yourself and say
I am thankful for,
- Clean water
- Fresh coffee
- Relationship with parents
- Long phone calls with friends
- A full tank of gas
- A bed to sleep in
- A roof over my head
- 3 square meals a day
- Hot water for showers
- Ability to walk
- The job I have that pays my bills
- An opportunity to workout and improve my health
- Still having my grandparents around
- My dog/pets
- Being healthy
- The bad times because they are what make me realize and appreciate how good the good times are
- Sitting down with a good book
- Making it home safe after a night out
- Having full charge on my cell phone
- A closet full of clothes to choose from
- Shoes on my feet
- Getting to school/work/home safely
- A sunny day and clear skies
- A rainy day for fertilizing the grass and the trees and the plants
- Having someone else’s Netflix login
- Getting a good grade on a test or quiz
- Doing laundry and getting to wear your favorite underwear/socks
- Hitting a few green lights in a row
- Beating the line in a restaurant
- Watching the news and thinking ‘I’m glad they aren’t my neighbor…’
The list could go on and on and on, and each persons list will obviously be a little bit different but those thirty things are a great place to start.
Recognize those moments or things and appreciate them as they are happening.
In a tough time, remember that without them you would not have the ability to appreciate what is great in your life. There would be no light without darkness, we would not know beauty without the ugly.