Recently I set out to hone in on roughly ten things that I want my life to be sculpted by by the time I am thirty years old. I put down on paper multiple times a week what I want my life to look like, and I figured it would be a good idea to post them here for you all to take a look at and potentially gather some inspiration from.
I am a firm believer that working backwards from your end goal is the best way to accomplish something.
It is a great idea to set out the destination, and then decide how you will get there. By doing this you are in control of the entire journey.
If you instead work step by step with a vague ending, the forks you find in your journey will take you all across the map and you’ll have no idea how you ended up where you are.
Make it a point to put down exactly what you want, and stop at nothing to arrive there at the point in time you said you would.
Here is my list of things to attain before age 30, mostly in order of importance, with a small note on how I will accomplish this or anything else that may need to be said to explain the goal a little bit better.
- Be married with 1 kid
- I want to be young enough so that through the entirety of my children’s lives that I can be there and be active with them as they grow up
- I will continue to build my relationship and build myself so that marriage is something that can be beneficial and strengthening to my life as well as my girlfriend’s
- Hold a job with a base salary of $100,000
- Creating financial security for myself and my family is one of, if not the, top priority in all that I do. Financial security is crucial to truly living a life of freedom
- Side hustle income totaling $400,000 a year
- This may come from one large side hustle, or five small ones, the exact how I have not put a pin in yet, but this is exactly what I mentioned in the beginning of this article. I am writing the end I want, and will work on filling in the parts to get there
- Own two cars purchased in cash
- One thing I really really REALLY do not want to do is put myself in debt. I would rather buy a $5,000 car straight up in cash than finance a $20,000 car and end up essentially losing money on the interest and depreciation
- Ideally I would like to have some type of truck or large vehicle for transporting/hauling things, and a smaller vehicle with good gas mileage for day to day use
- Author three books and have them all published
- The topics of these books I don’t have nailed down yet, but there are definitely a few rough draft ideas in my head
- The Mindset Muscle was a great introduction for me to the world of writing books, I will build on everything I learned from that and work to develop better writing skills
- Speak in front of 1,000 people
- The event doesn’t matter to me right now, I just want to find a way to get on a stage with a microphone and speak in front of 1,000 people. Whether that is a graduation ceremony, a TED talk, a convention of some sort, etc
- I want to do this to expand the audience I can reach, as well as further develop my public speaking skills
- Sell a company for $500,000
- I want to build up a company and sell it off to another investor or a larger company and total $500,000 in the process of the sale
- This will allow me a large cushion of security as well as an opportunity to continue growing and moving forward in life and the world of business
- Build an athletic facility at Mill Valley High School
- I have a great amount of respect for the high school I attended and the faculty and staff there, especially when it comes to athletics
- It would be a huge honor for me to help the school out by building a facility that athletes can use to improve
- Guest post on five websites and guest speak on five podcasts
- This is another way for me to improve my speaking/writing, as well as growing my audience
As you can see, these are some pretty big time goals.. a lot of them might seem intimidating to some people, but not to me.
Looking at this list and writing it down a few times a week gets me extremely excited about moving forward with my life. Having these things to strive for every day and realizing the small steps I need to take gives me purpose and true motivation to continue working and growing.
After I finish writing these down I always end with a little mantra that I have developed.
(I like to write notes to myself as if I am talking directly to me, so this might sound a little weird)
But essentially I tell myself that I’m going to be alright and that the life I am going to live is going to be incredibly fulfilling and fun.
I understand that it will be filled with some times that may not seem to favor me in the moment, but I am aware enough to understand that anything that steps in front of me and appears as an obstacle will only be a stepping stone to leap past.
Anything that tries to hinder me is trying to strengthen me.
I welcome any and all challenges and will embrace them with the utmost will and determination to push through and see the end of the movie I have written come true.
I hope this helped you out in one way or another, and I would love to hear back on what some of your five year, ten year, etc. goals are!